The Steel City Riders Motorcycle Club began in the late '40s as The Flying Midgets. So named because all of the members rode 90-125cc motorcycles. The other Hamilton club The Blackhawks rode Harleys & Indians.
In 1949 members met in a bicycle repair shop in West Hamilton (Westdale). As members moved up to larger machines, it was decided that the name was no longer appropriate, and after a club meeting ,with much heated discussion, that lasted all night into the morning the Steel City Riders were born.